Skip to main content

Implementing ideas from Maria

Today for the first time I implemented some strateies I learnt from my session with Maria.

Writing Groups:
Today I implemented writing groups for the first time. I think it was a success because I was able to spend more focused time with the children and really able to begin to notice where they were struggling. My teaching was more appropriate to their writing ability. The other aspect that I really liked was the free choice that the children who were not writing with me got to experience. While I took writing groups, another teacher supervised children for 'free writing', handwriting cards and spelling cards. The children got to choose which activity they wanted to work on, and to my suprise, most of them chose to do 'free writing'.

Some comments from colleagues that were present at the time included...
"I think it worked really well"
"The children really enjoyed it and your teaching was able to be more focused on the children that needed the support"
"It was a nice environment to walk into"

Reading:
In reading I implemented one strategy that Maria taught me. This was the children making their key word with the magnetic letters and writing their word underneath it. I also implemented strategies I learnt from the Phonics Training course to encourage children to self monitor by not telling the children whether they are right or wrong but rather encouraging them to check their words themselves using their reading book. I also encouraged the children to hold the word in their heads and only come back and check the word if they forget what it was. The children thoroughly enjoyed themselves and began asking me for more words that they could copy on the board with the letters. One child said "I want to write my whole book!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Phonics Training with Yolanda Soryl

Standards For The Teaching Profession

STANDARDS FOR THE TEACHING PROFESSION It is understood that high-quality practices will generate naturally occurring evidence that can be used for discussion and analysis. For the purposes of appraisal, it is not expected that teachers would need to identify evidence of individual elaborations; however, the evidence of the quality of their practice would need to be suf cient to re ect the standard. STANDARD ELABORATION OF THE STANDARD Te Tiriti o Waitangi partnership Understand and recognise the unique status of tangata whenua in Aotearoa New Zealand. Understand and acknowledge the histories, heritages, languages and cultures of partners to Te Tiriti o Waitangi. Practise and develop the use of te reo and tikanga Māori. Demonstrate commitment to tangata whenuatanga and Te Tiriti o Waitangi partnership in Aotearoa New...

Modelling Writing Observation

Since the beginning of the year, I have been feeling a little apprehensive about writing in my classroom. This is mainly due to the range of ages, levels in my class and the high needs of the new entrants. I have had discussions with colleagues about this and today my mentor teacher modeled a writing lesson for me to help me out. Points to remember about observation - Use a storybook to form a story idea - Say keywords slowly - Utilise magnetic letters for keywords - Get children to come find a word on your word card - Have a page on the other side of the book as the children's picture and practice page - Get children to close eyes and only open their eyes when they have a sentence - Find word patterns and rhyming words within story if possible